Raw food diets are healthy for humans, but are they also beneficial for your pet? Coaxing your pets to try new diets can be hard enough, especially when they’re used to routine foods. Even with numerous food options available for dogs, raw diets are increasingly becoming popular choices amongst dog owners.

There are plenty of sources online which support the preference for a raw food diet for working and household dogs. Many veterinarians think it’s an essential way to keep your pups healthier and live longer, happy lives. Should you put your dog on a raw food diet? Here are some considerations to make when deciding how to feed your beloved pooch:

1. Find Balance

Raw food diets can shape healthier habits for both dogs and cats. A raw food diet that is solely made up of raw meat lacks the variety and full-range of nutrients your dog needs to stay energized and healthy. Dr. Karen Becker advises that a balanced, species-appropriate diet is needed to maintain viable, long-term benefits for your dog. Humans should avoid giving their pets processed, low-range pet food.

The Pottenger Cat Study shows how the current pet food system is creating chronic disease in our beloved animals. Big name pet food brands often put in grains that don’t pass inspection, uninspected pieces and waste from deceased livestock, the seafood and restaurant industries, to even roadkill through the process of rendering which converts waste from the human food industry and turns into raw, but very unhealthy raw materials in our pets’ food.

Now, consumers are becoming more educated about what type of foods they put in their beloved pets’ bodies. As a result, pet owners are now buying more brands that are now labeled as “grain-free”, “naturally preserved”, “no byproducts” and “natural”. It’s important to look for these labels when shopping for your pet food. However, a raw diet can more readily help ward off the inflammatory issues and degenerative diseases, increasing your pet’s long-term health.

2. Include Healthy Choices

It’s also essential to incorporate healthy trends into your pup’s diet. Essential oils like coconut oil can help you safely prepare raw food for your dog. Dr. Becker also shares 8 benefits of using coconut oil and details how lavender oil can reduce skin irritations among other health tips. Below you can find the 8 health benefits coconut oil helps

  • Improves overall skin health
  • Reduces odor and bad breath
  • Prevents yeast infections
  • Speeds up recovery from illness
  • Improves digestion and nutrient intake
  • Reduces the risk of diabetes
  • Promotes movement for arthritic dogs
  • Boosts brain health (especially for senior dogs)

Although these items are safe to use on Fido, be sure to conduct your research as to which foreign products are safe or dangerous for your pet before giving it to them.

3. Proper Proportions are Important

HealthyPets reports that a proper and healthy raw food diet should include 75 percent meat/organs/bones and the other 25 percent should consist of veggies and fruits. It can be challenging to upend your pet’s normal diet, but it’s worth it to keep your pet healthy! Plan out time for meal prep so you can help your pup stay on track. There are countless safe, raw food diets for your dog online so that you can give them a variety of recipes that can satiate their cravings!

4. Choose the Right Options for your Dog!

Overall, Dr. Becker says that these diets are more accurately aligned with your pup’s natural, wild diet. A diet without all the added preservatives, toxins, and unhealthy scraps can help your dog live a healthier and happier life with you and your family. If you’re still curious about all the benefits or downsides to creating a regular raw food diet for your dog, then check out her three-part video series which helps you consider all the steps when choosing the best diet for your pet.